Wednesday 24 February 2016

I found my 16 siblings on line


Kacie Saxer-Taulbee, 19, was searching​ for her sperm-donor father. What she discovered was a huge extended family. Read the intriguing story here

When I was 7, my two moms sat me and my younger sister Kailyn down and gave us "The Talk." We learned where babies come from and the fact that Taryn was our biological mother and our father, whom we'd never known, was a sperm donor. Then they showed us a folder from the sperm bank with info that described our dad, aka donor 5010, in very basic terms: He was a college professor born in New York in 1969 who was five-foot-eleven and had brown hair. I never felt like my family was incomplete, so the info didn't leave much of an impression, and I went back to thinking about my next playdate.
Six years later, it was my love of science that ignited my curiosity about my father. It all started when I was learning about recessive and dominant generic traits at school. We got the assignment to compare our thumbs to our parent's thumbs and see how far they bent back. The second I got home, I grabbed my mom Taryn and stuck my thumb next to hers. Mine bent all the way back; hers was straight as an arrow. I must have gotten my "hitchhiker's thumb" from my dad! I wondered, What other traits did I inherit from this mystery man?
One night a few months later, I couldn't fall asleep, so I jumped on my computer and I started searching for male teachers in New york born in 1969, hoping to find a photo of someone who might resemble me. But it was pointless – I just didn't have enough info about my father. As a last ditch effort, I decided to google "donor registry" to see if there was a public database I could access. Among the results were three words that would change my life" Donor Sibling Registry. I'd never thought about having half brothers and sisters! I went to the site and entered my father's cryobank number. The page refreshed with small rectangles saying things like, "Boy, born April 1998" and "Girl, born November 1995." It took me a second to realize the weight of my discovery. These weren't just boxes – they were my family! And there were so many of them!
Immediately, I felt as if I'd found a missing piece and I didn't even know I was looking for. One by one, over the course of seven months, I started making contact through the registry with each of my siblings. I was so nervous and excited about talking to them to find out what we had in common. I also thought, How many more of us can be out there? I'm part of this huge group of people just living their lives while sharing half their DNA with total strangers.
We started exchanging photos, and it was crazy to see these people who looked so much like me. It sounds cliché, but I felt like I loved them instantly. And for the first time, I felt like I could really start to picture my dad in my head, based on our common "Snow White" aesthetic: blue eyes, dark hair, and pale skin.
A bunch of us met in person the following year. I couldn't believe how everyone felt so familiar. We started calling ourselves 5010ers. It was interesting to share the experience of not having our dad in our lives. We compared stories of vacant Father's Days and the unanswerable sections on official paperwork. Initially, I kept up a pact with myself to talk to each of my siblings at least once a month, but as in every family, I got closer to some than others. My older brother Andy actually took me on my college tour, and my younger sister Lexie came to my high school graduation. We've even started a "secret sibling" gift- exchange tradition for the holidays!


Today, there are 13 of us 5010ers in touch (we even have our own Facebook group), and we know four others whom we haven't been ale to contact. The thing that we all have in common isn't a hitchhiker's thumb – it's relentless passion. We must have gotten that from our dad, as it's the trait that brought us together. Each of us had to be bold and sign up on the donor registry in order to be found. I'll probably never know my full family history, but we've created a mosaic with each of our pieces, and we help fill gaps in each other's lives. We've also gotten a sense of who our father is, and I like to think he'd be happy to know that we've found each other. 
Culled from seventeen magazine.

No comments: